Monday, September 3, 2007

Labor Day

Well, first let me give you a brief rundown of what Labor Day is and why we have it. It just irks me when people don't know what the holidays are even for. ;-) For this one, you'd really think that the name would tip people off...

"Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country."
For a more details, about what it means, who founded it, etc, go here.

For Labor Day this year, we celebrated by grilling with friends. Thank you, Coons, for having us over. The kids had so much fun and they were very worn out when they got home!! (quiet clapping from Mommy while kids snooze)

There's nothing like good friends to put a smile on your face at the end of the day. :-)

The kids play on the big play set and joined in lawn games while the big people chatted, and grilled. There was a brief thunderstorm in the middle of it all, too. Luckily the 14 kids did just fine playing in the house. There were no fights or problems. Nothing was broken, that I know of. I'd call it a successful afternoon!

Of course, I brought my camera. Anyone who knows me at all knows that I can't leave home without it. So here is my slide show. I apologize that the boys did not make it in as many pictures. Boys never sit still for long, it seems!! I tried to take a bunch when they were all on the playground equipment and then when they were playing in the front, but it just wasn't meant to be. None of those shots turned out.


Me and Fred, Darrin and Tina, Wendell and Donna, and 14 kids.
(and as a weird side note, did you know that the names Wendy and Wendell both mean "wanderer"? Interesting.)

2 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

Hey, Wend! I'm back! Say, I'm one of those annoying people. I'm a little ashamed to admit this, but I didn't know what Labor Day was for...and I'm a reasonably intelligent person! Thanks for the enlightenment!

Wendy said...

Sorry, girl, didn't mean it to be an insult to those who read my blog!!
But, c'mon, Labor Day is for laboreres, Presidents' Day is for presidents, Thanksgiving is for giving thanks! A lot of 'em are self-explanatory! ;-)
You may not have known who the founder is, but you're still a sharp tool in the shed!