Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Berry Pickin'

Yesterday evening we went to pick blueberries!! Could anything be more marvelous?? I felt like I was in a wonderful fairytale land, surrounded by large luscious berries on every side. I can only imagine this is how my husband would feel if he were surrounded by cheesecake bushes.

All I could think about was the deliciousness of blueberries, and how very thankful I am that I have a God who is so loving to make such wonderful food!


Fred naturally turned it into a competition. "I bet I can pick more than you can." Ha!--fine game as far as I was concerned! Anything to keep him focused on winning, and not on how much I was likely to spend on buckets full of mouthwatering yumminess.

Of course, I made the mistake of feeding my family Mexican food for dinner. Too many beans. Fred kept gassing the area, and the kids and I would be forced to move upwind. Call it his secret weapon.

He underestimated me, though. Something about the passion of berries got my blood flowing, and I easily topped a bucket before he did. In fact, I would have stayed, maybe all night, if my husband had not dragged me away.

We took the Artist and Naturalist with us, and left the LiveWire and Little Lad. When LiveWire got into his carseat, at my parents' house, he saw the blueberries and grabbed a bag for the ride home. That's my boy!

Just so you know, my new "gift list" has only one thing on it: blueberry plants! I told Fred that's what I want for Valentines, Mother's Day, my birthday, Christmas, you name it. Just buy me a plant here and there!

In fact, my long-term plan now is to live out in the country somewhere and have some geese (just because I like them,) and berry plants of all kinds, a huge veggie garden, and an orchard. Oh, yeah. MmmHmmm! That's what Eden must have been like.

Actually, you all know I love my yellow cottage and I've put a lot of love into it. It would be hard to leave. Too bad we can't just pick it up and drop it somewhere out in the woods...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know Louie T. actually does pick up houses and moves them.
You should maybe plant blackberries and rasberries too.

Charlie Muessemeyer

Trish said...

We went last week. This morning I had a Red, White, and Blue Smoothie for breakfast...5 frozen strawberries, 1/2 a banana, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup strawberry yogurt, and 1/2 cup of milk. My Magic Bullet blended it beautifully and wa-la... I shared it with my hubby. I asked for some blueberry bushes too!

Just what are those Woods up to? said...

You like geese? The things you learn about a person you think you've known all your life! I like the way they look, but they kinda scare me, with their pecking and stuff. Still, I can picture your dream home, and it sounds perfect, and I hope it has a guestroom.

It looks like you had such a good time! I can't wait to go pick some with you (bet I can beat ya, ha ha)!

Ann-Marie said...

One of my friends in high school always wanted to have geese, too! It must take a special kind of person.

Check out Enslaved by Ducks by author Bob Tarte for a HILARIOUS (ROTFL) story of his life with feathered, furred, and fowled friends! You'll love it, guaranteed.

Arato Girl said...

Vu would be in HEAVEN. Blueberries are his favorite food. Which makes me happy cause they're so incredibly good for you. Where did you guys go? We must go there.

I am a mean berry-picker, too.

I'd love to have ducks. Geese are lovely, but they are quite rude. And evil.

We have a blueberry bush. It only gets a few berries because it's so young, though, and they're very tart. We also have a blackberry shrub (is that what you'd call it?) and the same deal with it. Years from now, I hope they're laden with lots of sweet berries.