Tuesday, July 29, 2008

rain, rain go away (at least figuratively speaking)

When it's all nice and sunny, sometimes I don't notice as much as I should. I'm too busy.
I take it for granted.
So when it starts to cloud up a bit, I don't really notice that either.
Too much is going on. My list is too long.
I just forget to look around.
It's not intentional.
Before I know it, the rain starts coming down...
just sprinkles at first, so that's no big deal.

I might look around, maybe comment on the unexpected rain, but I keep on walking.
I have an umbrella, so it's no biggie. I get busy again and just keep walking, doing, going about life...and before I know it I've walked right out from under that protective umbrella.
And THEN I stop and look around.
What happened??I'm in the middle of the storm with no protection. It's thundering and lightening.
Friends are running (some shielded under their own large umbrellas.)And me? I just stand there like a dope, looking around,
getting soaked, and wondering when on earth all this happened? Such is life.
I've let complacency overcome me.
There really is a battle between the good and the best.
And sometimes, even when I think I'm choosing the best,
I'm still choosing what is good first.
Sometimes it takes a good sister to kick you in the rear and make you stand back up.
Put top things top. Seek GOD, and stop getting so comfortable.
Thanks, Jules.

And, in case anyone else finds themselves without an umbrella,

Umbrellas aren't hard to come by, you just gotta ask for one back!


8 comments:

Simply Stork said...

wow that is quite a storm...goodness be!

I love rain storms...even in the summer...so cool

~simply~

Shirley said...

And yet ... sometimes it's the rain that brings us closer to Him - to share His umbrella. There is a wonderful song by Mercy Me (I think) called "Bring the Rain" - it talks about if rain is what it takes for me to praise Him, then bring the rain.
You are right - why can't we always just praise Him in the sunshine times :)
Blessings to you!
Shirley

The Beauty Bargainista said...

Wow! :) I love your story. I feel like this alot too, especially not living life for the good but for the BEST! I definatly know sometimes I need to share God's umbrella with Him.
thank you so much for sharing!

Jerri Dalrymple said...

You are awesome, toots! I'm glad you found your umbrella. ;o)

Anonymous said...

sometimes the rain lasts and lasts....but the lessons are there.

Just what are those Woods up to? said...

I know I can always count on you to do the same for me! I love you and thanks for being such a great big sister.

Mandy said...

What a great post... we all need a kick in the rump from time to time from a fellow Christian that's actions result out of love.

Wanted to let you know I posted a comment under your post about women and judgement.. great post!

Wendy said...

Oh, Shirley! You are so right: "sometimes it's the rain that brings us closer to Him"
Yes! It took some painful lessons to get me back on course, back to true worship and submission to my Sustainer.
Just like a child must encounter some thorns to keep him on the right path, so it is with the lackadaisical Christian.
A good slap on the hand is sometimes the best thing that can happen to us!! --THEN we see the fire that was right before us, and we cling on to the one who mercifully disciplined us back into safety. :-) He is the best parent after all.