Monday, June 1, 2009

blouse apron tutorial

Okay, I've now discovered the joy in creating my own designs and patterns! I started pulling things out of the yard sale box, thinking,
"my, this could be the cutest apron/skirt/wrap if I only..."
Then the kids got in on it. They embroidered with me outside, and came up with some of the cutest designs!! I'll post those when they get done.

I came across this old blouse. Love it. But it didn't fit me right....as a blouse anyway.
So, I got my "plan" in place (visual picture, that is,) and I went to work.

Try it on and see how wide you want the upper "bib" part to be, when it's buttoned. Then cut two strips up the front.

Lucky me, I didn't have to measure, because my shirt has lines and pleats. So I just cut with four pleats on each side, straight down the line.

This is what it should look like now.

Set that aside, and pick up your back-sleeves part. Cut off a sleeve. These will be pockets. Just cut as much as you want, depending on the depth you desire for your pockets.

See where I'm going with this?

It's all laid out, ready to sew, but I need to do my laundry first! And I have a lot of laundry to fold, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish this tonight. I'd also like to put eyelet lace along the bottom, but that will have to wait for a store-run. I'll post this again when it's completely finished.

I think this would be especially nice if you have old blouses from a great-grandma that you can't wear. What better way to use them daily, remember someone you love, and give new memories to something special?

Go ahead-- check out the other Metamorphosis projects!

7 comments:

Jerri Dalrymple said...

Man, I wish the creativity bug would bite me like it's bit you!!! LOL!

>>> said...

Actually, this is my favorite of the aprons you've done so far. Great!
Don't forget to post it when it's done : )

Ann-Marie said...

Wendy - you are so creative, so this is - in no way - a criticism of your sewing...but you would look beautiful in a paper bag! Or a paper bag apron! LOL!

Seriously, the patterns are great. How DO you DO it all, my dear?! :-)

Suzanne said...

I agree. I love this one.

Shan said...

Aprons AND Graphics pointing to them! INCREDIBLE!!
I'm holding an eleven paddle up high for you! :D

Aprons Gone Wild said...

Awww...I love this idea.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you will want to get a twitter icon to your blog. Just marked down this article, but I had to do this by hand. Simply my $.02 :)