Saturday, July 4, 2009

The fun-time canopy!

Happy 4th of July!!! I am PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN,
AND I FEEL SO BLESSED TO LIVE IN THIS COUNTRY!
We'll celebrate tonight, with friends, food, and fireworks--you know, the American way! :-)
For our family daytime celebration, we made our own itty-bitty happy-country canopy!

Supplies: hula hoop, ribbon or twine, fabric and/or tulle, and embellishments
Tie lengths of ribbon or twine on the hula hoop, in 4-6 locations. Tie them all together in the middle, so it will hang. Mine weren't all quite the same length, so our canopy hangs a bit crooked...which just makes it more unique!
Use fabric for the topper. Get creative. I used two long rectangular strips of blue, with a hole in the middle of each, for the tied ribbons to go through. Tie or sew tulle or fabric around the hoop. I sewed mine by hand. Add embellishments. We did ribbons, fake leaves and felt ones, flowers. I may add some plastic butterflies and insects later, too.
Then just add a little rug or blanket and seat inside. Voila!



7 comments:

Adelia said...

This looks a lot like Alex's except we used a green leafy topper and more of a canvas fabric, but you already knew that. :)

Wendy said...

wow, I don't even remember that! But I guess that's not surprising, knowing my memory, especially when an idea comes from multiple sources. I pulled this page out of Family Fun magazine.

Was your canopy out at either of the parties?? I don't even remember seeing it.

We did have a LOT going on those weeks, so I guess my brain was just tryin' to cling to the itinerary! ;-)

Great minds think alike...

Just what are those Woods up to? said...

Cool , Wendy! I bet Family Fun magazine has lots of great ideas; I should look at it. I bet the kids loved it!

Anonymous said...

I luv tull!
-Stac

Anonymous said...

tulle

Wendy said...

Thanks, guys. Julie, Family Fun does have great ideas! So does Crafty Crow. :-) Happy crafting!

I'am Woman Hear Me Blog said...

I love this and have been thinking of making a little area for my son with Autism, just a lil play for him to go. I was gonna buy a tent but i love this so much more. Its wonderful!!!