Thursday, September 10, 2009

Seafood and Veggies

My Mimi was stable through the night. She will have surgery tomorrow, most likely.
Please continue to pray.
I'm trying to "do life." After spending the evening and night crying,
my eyes are poofy and I'm exhausted...
but we still have school to do, food to eat, and other "life things."
I need give it to God. There is nothing I can do except to pray for her.
He cares about her even more than I do.

Sooo, this was written (and the food made) yesterday,
before I heard what kind of shape Mimi was in:

We've all heard about the benefits of seafood, right? Try these super cute octopuses!
Yeah, okay, so it's really not very healthy. Ah, well.
Gotta live a little.
At least you could use all-beef or turkey franks.
The Artist pointed out that my octopuses don't have 8 legs. So sue me. ;-)
Maybe you can make yours anatomically correct
Cut one end of the hotdog, heat it up, and then you have an octopus! Cooking doesn't get easier than that, does it? Add tiny bits of raisins for eyes. (I'll confess that I actually drew on my kids hotdogs and then cut the tiny faces off before they ate them. But, rather than posting the gruesome photos of that, I thought I'd stick with paintshop faces for you guys!)

Need some healthier foods to wash down the beef?
Grab those leftover garden veggies. Yeah, all kinds. Wash 'em, chop 'em, and throw them in a frying pan with a bit of olive oil and Italian seasoning. I added tomatoes, okra, bell pepper, some egg plant. YUM!! And, if I'd thought about it, I would have also added my squash and garlic.
Still have leftover veggies??
It's salsa time!

First I made Sara's Singapore Salsa recipe:

2 cans Del Monte diced tomatoes with jalapenos (I used my leftover tomatoes and jalapenos instead.)
1 can peaches, drained
1/2 - 1 med. onion
1 bunch cilantro
1 tsp. salt
lime juice to taste (last time I made this with the juice of 1 & 1/2 limes) 1 T garlic (and I used two cloves of garlic instead)

Yum! Thanks, Sara!!

Then I did my traditional chunky salsa:
Lots of tomatoes, chopped
Half an onion, diced
Lots of garlic, minced (like 3 cloves or so... this isn't an exact science!)
A bunch of cilantro, chopped. Mmmm....
Two jalapenos, seeded and minced
Salt and pepper to taste
Juice of a lime
Cumin, if you like it. I do.
Mmmmmmm.....

1 comment:

sara said...

I am so glad you like it! The lime and cilantro make it especially good.